6.24.2011

Recipe: Fish Tacos


My entire life I have hated fish.  Okay.  Well, actually, I just thought I hated fish.  I don’t even know if I ever even really tried fish until just recently.  I’ve just always had it in my head that I hate fish…and that was that.  Last month for my birthday, I decided I was going to broaden my culinary horizons and decided to celebrate by going to Bonefish Grill.  I got the halibut and after taking one bite, my world changed.  I realized that maybe I should give fish a chance after all.  My brother ordered the fish tacos and we both decided we should try to replicate them at home.  These tacos were E-A-S-Y and F-A-S-T!  If you think you don’t like fish, you should give these tacos a chance.  We used tilapia, which was not "fishy" at all.  Best of all, it was affordable, available at the store (which is not to be taken for granted since I live in the most land-locked state in the US – Missouri), is super low in fat and calories, and packs a ton of protein.  You could also easily use cod or halibut for this.
Fish Tacos
2 fresh or frozen (thawed) tilapia fillets - about 4 oz. each
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
Pinch of salt and pepper
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of half a lime
4 soft taco-size flour tortillas
Any toppings you like!
Rub tilapia fillets with olive oil and sprinkle evenly with cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper.  Preheat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium heat.  Grilling in a fish basket or on aluminum foil will really help the fish hold together on the grill.


 Grill on medium heat about 5 minutes per side.  Add a little extra time if your fish is more than 1/2 an inch thick.  The general rule for cooking fish is 10 minutes per inch of thickness.  The fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork.
Throw the flour tortillas on the grill for about 30 seconds to heat them through.  Flake your fish and divide it evenly between the tortillas.  Squeeze fresh lime over the fish.  Add whatever toppings you like.  Enjoy!

Yield: 4 Tacos

Approximate Nutrition Facts Per Taco (Fish and Tortilla Only):
Calories: 200
Fat: 3.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 gram
Protein: 23 grams
Carbs: 18 grams
Fiber: 1 gram

No comments:

Post a Comment