10.30.2011

My First Triathlon!

I think I've said before that I am always better at working out consistently when I am training for something.  While training for the bike trip, I made it a point to ride my bike practically every day.  Since the trip came to an abrupt end, I have only ridden a couple of times.  Even though I actually really enjoy riding and I love that feeling of accomplishment I get when I've been working out regularly, I just struggle with actually getting off the couch and getting started.

I decided that I needed something to train for over the winter so I don't fall into my normal lazy habits when the weather turns cold.  I have been interested in trying a triathlon for a while now, specifically a sprint triathlon.

A sprint triathlon is usually a 750 meter swim, followed by a 12.4 mile bike ride, finishing off with a 3.1 mile run.
It's not official yet since they haven't opened the registration for next year, but I have decided I am going to run the Kansas City Triathlon on May 20, 2012.  I am SO excited to run my very first triathlon!!

I am going to spend this winter working on all three disciplines.  I have actually never swam a proper lap in my life, so Goal No. 1 is going to be learning how to swim laps. I found a community center with an indoor pool fairly close to where I live that offers lap swimming hours.   I'm also going to see if they have any adult swimming lessons so I can learn and work on proper swimming form.  I need to work up from walking a 5k to being able to run a 5k.  I am also going to continue riding my bike when the weather allows it throughout the winter.

Have you ever run a triathlon?  Were you nervous your first time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment